1845 - 1922
||15 Nov 1845
||Philidelphia, Pennslvania [2, 3, 4]
- Baptismal record of St. Francis Xavier Catholic church in Philadelphia list date of birth as November 15, 1845.
||30 Nov 1845
||Philidelphia, Pennslvania, St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church 
- Michael Joseph Bane
Parents: Andrew and Mary Bane
Sponsors: John McCarron and Catherine McCarron
Rev. P. Rafferty
||Largo, Wabash Co., IN 
- In 1860 we find Michael living in Wabash, Indiana. I believe this is our Michael for several reasons. The birth date and place are accurate, parents listed correspond the baby book Leona kept. She list great-grand parents of the children as Andrew and Mary Behen, Michael registered for his military service in 1864 and gave his home as Wabash, Indiana. Finally, from Michael's obituary we know he had a brother Dan and Frank, these two are also listed with the family. The following is the information from this record:
Andrew age 45/8, born Ireland
Mary age 40 born Ireland
John age 23 born Ireland
James age 20 born PA
Daniel age 18 born PA
Michael age 16 born PA
Andrew age 14 born PA
Frances age 12 born PA
Catherine age 10 born PA
The only thing which does not fit with known information is Frances is listed as a girl. There were no other Bahen/Behen....listed in the 1860 census who so closely fit our criteria.
The baptismal records from St. Francis Xavier Catholic church in Philadelphia also correspond with known data and this census record.
||From 25 Jul 1864 to 23 Oct 1865
||Wabash Co., IN 
|47th Indiana Infantry Company B |
- Michael J. Behen served in the Army during the civil war. His service was with the 47th Indiana Infantry, Company B. Michael's enlistment card gives his address as Wabash, Indiana. Other information listed is as follows:
Enlistment date: July 24, 1864
Enlistment place: Indianapolis
Height: 5' 9"
End of service: October 23, 1865--Baton Rouge, LA
We are certain this is our Michael because on his tombstone it states Co. B 47th Ind. Inf. This has been recorded in the McLean Co. cemetery book incorrectly as the 7th Ind. Inf. When the grass was removed from the tombstone the 4 was reveled. Michael also reports on the 1910 census he is a veteran of the Army and his obituary states he was a Civil war veteran.
During Michael's service his unit participated in a expedition to Clinton, Louisiana and participated in the campaign against Mobile and the defences of Alabama. There was also a skirmish near Spanish Fort, Alabama. The regiment mustered out October 23, 1865.
||Toledo, Lucas Co., OH 
|in Toledo and worked on D& M Railroad |
||2 Jul 1880
||Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie Co., Iowa 
- The 1880 census has Michael J and Elizabeth are living in Council Bluffs, IA. No doubt Mike, as he was listed in 1880, had moved there due to his work on the railroad. However, his occupation was listed as laborer. The family must have been in Iowa for at least part of one year because Frank's birth place is listed as IA in this and all subsequent census records. Frank was born in March and the census was done in July. By 1882 the family was in MO, Norine's birth place is consistently listed in the census records as MO.
||Bloomington, McLean Co., IL 
- In 1900 Michael J list his place of birth as Pennsylvania, place of birth for his parents as Ireland. His occupation is listed as a locomotive engineer. The number of years married to Libbie was recorded as 22 years. From the date of Franks birth (1880) and this information we can calculate an approximate marriage of 1878.
||St. Charles, St. Charles Co., MO 
- The 1910 census has the family living in St. Charles, MO. Family members listed are:
Michael J: age 65
Elizabeth C. age 54
Edward S. age 21
Helena: age 22
Harold: age 17
This is also the census record Michael indicates he is a veteran of the civil war.
||Bloomington, McLean Co., IL 
- In 1920 Michael J and Harold were living with Norine(Behen) and Thomas Campbell family in Bloomington, IL.
||29 Sep 1922
||Wabash Hospital, Decatur, Macon Co., IL 
- Taken from Michael J's death certificate.
||Michael J. Behen-death certificate
Status: Located. Death notice of Michael Behen. Published in the Saturday morning Bloomington Pantograph, September 12, 1922, page 12.
||30 Sep 1922
||St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery, Bloomington, McLean Co., IL 
- St. Mary's cemetery records in Bloomington, IL and personal visit to the cemetery.
||Footstone of Michael J. Behen
Status: . Footstone is a Civil war veteran's marker. Michael served in the 47th inf. for the state of Illinois.
||20 Feb 2011 |
||BEHEN Andrew, b. 1815, Ireland , d. 1866, Largo, Wabash Co., IN |
||DOWLING Mary, b. 1812, Ireland , d. 1894, Jacksonville, Morgan Co., IL |
||STANTON Elizabeth C., b. 1851, Adrian, Lenawee Co., MI , d. 1917 |
||16 Jun 1879
||Adrian, Lenawee Co., MI [13, 14, 15, 16]
- In the IGI (International Genealogical Index, Mormon). It lists a marriage of a Michael J Behen and Elizabeth Stanton.
Elizabeth and Michael's marriage record from the state of MI list a marriage date of June 16, 1879. Michael gives his residence as Kansas City, MO and Elizabeth as Adrian, MI. Witness's were Richard Hoban and Katie Phelan, the marriage was performed by Peter Wallace, catholic priest, place of marriage was Adrian, Lenawee, MI.
| ||1. BEHEN Francis, b. 22 Mar 1880, Iowa , d. 24 Aug 1915, Eureka Springs, Carroll Co., AR |
| ||2. BEHEN Norine, b. 13 Jul 1882, Missouri , d. Jan 1973, Griffith, Lake Co., IN |
| ||3. BEHEN Helena, b. 11 Nov 1886, Bloomington, McLean Co., IL , d. 25 Oct 1918, Bloomington, McLean Co., IL |
| ||4. BEHEN Edward Stanton, b. 12 Dec 1888, Bloomington, McLean Co., IL , bur. 20 Feb 1959, Calvary Cemetery, Sedalia, Pettis Co., MO |
| ||5. BEHEN Harold Adlai, b. 27 Nov 1892, Bloomington, McLean Co., IL , d. 2 Jan 1977, Yucaipa, San Bernardino, CA |
||Michael and Frank Behen|
Status: Located. Frankie with his grandpa Behen
||Elizabeth (Stanton), Michael J. and son Frank Behen.|
Status: Located. This may have been taken in Seattle in 1912. A similar postcard picture exist which is labled Seattle, 1912.
||Michael J. Behen and unknown gentleman.|
Status: Located. This photo postcard was taken in November of 1912 in Seattle. The postcard was sent to son Ed Behen in St. Charles. The other man may have been Michael O'Boyle, husband of Mary O'Boyle, Libby's sister. The O'Boyle's lived in Seattle at the time the photo was taken.
||Michael J. Behen|
||Map of Indiana|
Status: Located. Map of Indiana with Wasbash County highlighted. Lagro, Wabash Co., IL was home to the Andrew Behen family in the early 1860's. St. Patrick's in Lagro is the burial place of Andrew and Mary Behan.
||1920-Michael J. Behen-Bloomington, IL|
Status: Located. Michael was living with daughter Norine Campbell
||1910-Michael J. Behan-St. Charles, MO|
Status: Located. Michael J. living in St. Charles MO., with family Elizabeth (54), Edward(21), Helena(22) and Harold (17).
||1900-Michael J. Behen-Bloomington, IL|
Status: Located. Michael J (50) and family, Libbie (46), Frank (20), Norine (17), Hellena(13), Edwaard (11), and Harold (7).
||1880-Mike Behen-Council Bluffs, IA|
Status: Located. Mike Behen and family, Elizabeth and baby Frank.
Status: Located. Civil War registration card.
||1850-Andrew Bean-Spring GardenWard 7-Philadelphia-PA-Page 447|
Status: Located. Andrew Bean-age 38-Milkman
David-age 7 (in Ireland David=Daniel)
|| 1860-Andrew Baham-Lagro-Wabash-IN-Page 295|
Status: Located. Andrew Baham-age 45/48-farmer-b. Ireland
Mary-age 40-b. Ireland
John-age 23- b. Ireland
James-age 20-b. PA
Danl-age 18-b. PA
Michl-age 16-b. PA
Frances(female)-age 12-b. PA
Catherine-age 10-b. PA
- [S33] Obituary-Michael J. Behen, September 30, 1922 page 12 (Reliability: 2).
- [S4] Death Certificate-Edward Stanton Behen, 31056 (Reliability: 3).
- [S33] Obituary-Michael J. Behen, September 30, 1922 (Reliability: 2).
Gives birth as November 13, 1845
- [S105] Baptism Records-St. Francis Xavier Catholic-Baptism records-Philadelphia, PA (Reliability: 3).
- [S50] 1860 Lagro, Wabash Co., IN-Andrew Bahan (Reliability: 3).
- [S45] Military-Civil War-Michael J Beahen, M540 #5 (Reliability: 3).
Age 21, eye color as hazel, hair brown, height 5'9"
- [S128] City Directory-Toledo, OH (Reliability: 2).
- [S35] 1880 Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie, IA-Mike Behen, Year: 1880; Census Place: Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie, Iowa; Roll: T9_361; Family History Film: 1254361; Page: 381.3000; Enumeration District: 261; Image: 0768. (Reliability: 3).
- [S25] 1910 St. Charles City, St. Charles Co., MO-Michael J. Behan (Reliability: 3).
- [S25] 1910 St. Charles City, St. Charles Co., MO-Michael J. Behan, Year: 1910; Census Place: St Charles Ward 4, St Charles, Missouri; Roll: T624_808; Page: 8B; Enumeration District: 169; Image: 519. (Reliability: 3).
- [S40] 1920 Bloomington, McLean Co., IL-Thomas Campbell/Behen, Year: 1920;Census Place: Bloomington Precinct 8, McLean, Illinois; Roll: T625_386; Page: 5B; Enumeration District: 98; Image: 1044. (Reliability: 3).
Listed as M.J. Behen living with daughter Norine Campbell. Head of household is Thomas Campbell his son-in-law.
- [S33] Obituary-Michael J. Behen, Saturday, September 30, 1922 (Reliability: 2).
- [S33] Obituary-Michael J. Behen, Page 12 (Reliability: 2).
Obituary for Michael states Michael and Elizabeth Stanton were married forty-two years ago (Death 1922), makes marriage about 1880. However, Francis was reported as being one-year old when the 1880 census (July 1880) was done; so it stands to reason Michael and Elizabeth were married in late 1878 or early 1879 and Francis was born the next year.
- [S35] 1880 Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie, IA-Mike Behen, 1880 Census (Reliability: 2).
Francis (Frankie) was reported to be one-year-old in the 1880 census (July) so it stands to reason Michael and Elizabeth were married prior to 1880.
- [S91] IGI-Elizabeth Stanton.
- [S108] Marriages-Michigan (Reliability: 2).